A great solution for a combination of both hard water problems and the need for a filter, the Aquios FS-220C works as a non-salt unit which conditions hard water and eliminates existing buildup of scale in pipes and household appliances without removing the healthy minerals from the water. In addition, the carbon block filtration systems is rated at 5 microns offering clean, fresh water with no aftertaste or chlorine smell.
This combined unit offers a space-saving option to clean and condition water in an economical manner, while keeping your water heater and other household appliances working cleanly and smoothly for many years to come. Click here if you want to check it out on Amazon right away.
How it Works
Like other salt-free water conditioning systems, Aquios uses polyphosphate siliphos beads in a crystallization technique which converts the mineral ions (such as calcium and magnesium) to smaller particles. The crystallized form of these particles are able to flow through the household water system without clinging or sticking to the pipes and appliances. This avoids new buildup of minerals and scale, as well as flushing out existing scale that has built up over time while leaving the healthy minerals in the drinking water for the body to absorb.
- System dimensions: 23.4″ X 5.4″
- System weight: 8.4 pounds
- Port size: 3/4″ NPT, threaded brass
- Head design: In-head-valve with internal bypass and shut-off
- Flow Rate: 12 Gallons Per Minute (GPM)
- Operating pressure: 100 PSI (6.9 bar)
- Operating temperature: 40-115 degrees F
Featured Pros and Cons of Aquios AQFS220C
Taking a look at the advantages and disadvantages of a water softening unit is critical before making a purchase. Everything has pros and cons, and you should be informed of them so that you can make an informed choice based upon your own personal preferences and needs. Check out this breakdown so you know that you are getting exactly what you are looking for.
- Water conditioner and filter combined into one unit saves space and money.
- Removes 99% of chlorine taste and odor, reduces rust and sediment as well as iron.
- Does not use salt, which means there is no extra sodium in the water for those who might have restricted sodium diets.
- Healthy minerals such as magnesium and calcium remain in the drinking water.
- Water does not take on the “slippery” feel of salt softened water.
- Filter minimizes the presence of dirt, iron, and rust which is especially prevalent in well water.
- Natural process is eco-friendly and does not dump salt brine into the community water system.
- Prevents buildup of scale from hard water.
- Unique in-head valve design for less breakage.
- Brass insert fittings included in kit for high quality installation.
- Works at removing existing scale over time as water flushes through.
- Removes spots from dishes leaving them shiny and clean.
- May whiten and brighten clothes in laundry.
- Requires less soap to create suds than extremely hard water does, for a cost savings on personal care products and household detergents.
- Highly efficient with no need for regeneration, which means access to conditioned water 24/7.
- Does not use electricity or magnets in the conditioning process.
- Very low maintenance except for changing carbon filter every few months.
- Company promises 45,000 gallons of clean water.
- Provides clean shower heads, toilet bowls, and coffee pots without all of the hard work.
- Limited 20 year warranty with proof of purchase. (This is exceptional within the industry.)
- Limited 1 year warranty without proof of purchase.
- 60 day money back guarantee for a full refund of the purchase price, no questions asked.
- International shipping available for those not in the United States.
- Does not actually remove the hardness from the water but simply changes the particles to make them smaller and less able to adhere to pipes and appliances.
- Only works in running water, not for water that is still.
- Not recommended for extremely hard water—higher than 75 Grains per Gallon (GPG).
- May need to replace filter cartridge.
- A reviewer mentions that with extremely hard water this may show some lime buildup where hot water is used (tea kettle for example) but is easily removed with a simple scrub brush and no chemicals needed.
- Replacement cartridges may cost around $60-$80 and should be replaced every 4-6 months for a family of four. This might cost more than filling a regular water softener with salt.
- Warranty is not transferable to new owner, so if you sell your house you may want to take it with you.
If you are expecting the same results as a salt-based ion exchange system, then you may want to re-think your choice. Salt based water softener systems work very differently than non-salt alternatives.
Using a unit such as the Aquios AQFS220C water conditioner will not change the hardness results of your water if you have it tested before and after installation. But it will change the way that your water flows through your pipes, the way it feels on your skin and hair, the way that it creates more suds in your soaps or detergents, and the way that your drinking water tastes.
Bottom Line for Aquios AQFS220C:
If you’re looking for a salt-free alternative for your household and you like the additional convenience of a water filter included, the Aquios AQFS220C is a reliable and affordable option. Better for the environment, better for your pipes and appliances, better for the hair and skin, better for healthy drinking water, and better for your wallet! With simple installation, no electricity, and taking up very little space, the Aquios combined water conditioner and filter will fill your whole house with fresh-tasting drinking water that is good for your body, and clean smelling water that will keep your pipes and appliances running smoothly for years to come.