Water is an essential human need; as a matter of fact, clean water is recognized by the United Nations as a basic human right. Every person needs 20 to 50 liters of safe, clean water a day for drinking cleaning and cooking. While clean water is a necessity most well and tap water in America contains moderate to heavy levels of contamination from environmental and industrial pollution.
All sources of water contain some level of contamination. Contaminants can vary from naturally occurring minerals to man-made chemicals. The majorities of contaminant levels in the water are not high enough to cause immediate health problems but are more likely to cause chronic health problems; this means that effects will appear later following repeated exposure to small amounts of a contaminant.
While intake of the water might not cause immediate health problems, it is imperative that you look out for your health by using clean water. If you want to skip the article and view our top choice on Amazon…click here!
Whole House Filtration Systems Comparison Chart
- Whole House Filtration Systems Comparison Chart
- Types Of Whole House Filtration Systems
- Our Top 5 Favorites
- Whole house water filtering systems offer a number of perks within the home including:
- Before purchasing a whole house filtration system you have to consider:
- Bottom Line
|iSpring WKB32B Big Blue||24 x 12 x 36 in||Jumbo filters improve flow rate + reduce maintenance||$$$|
|Home Master HMF2SMGCC||9 x 18 x 25 in.||Oversize filters improve flow rate and reduce maintenance||$$|
|HydroCare HC-300X||24 x 9 x 27 in.||No backwashing or electrcity required||$$$$$|
|APEX Whole House GAC||28 x 22.5 x 9 in.||Pre-filter extracts suspended materials such as sediment + rust||$$$|
|Aquasana EQ-600-AMZN||9 x 46 x 27 in.||Does not require salt, electricity, or back flushing||$$$$|
|Culligan US-EZ-1 EZ-Change||3.8 x 8.2 x 12.2 in.||Twist-on twist-off mechanism||$|
Types Of Whole House Filtration Systems
- Heavy duty filtration system – this refers to the highest performing contaminant removal system due to the large amounts of filter media used. The media is placed in a tank and provides you with specific contaminant protection for up to 10 years before the media needs replacement.
- Standard capacity water cartridge – the cartridges are placed in durable filter housings to treat contaminated water throughout the home. The filters are typically smaller compared to the heavy duty systems and require replacement every year.
Our Top 5 Favorites
iSpring Water Filtration System
This home water filtration unit features:
- Jumbo filters that reduce the frequency of maintenance while improving the rate of flow
- Top notch purification capabilities that most of the chlorine, rust, sediment and heavy metal in water.
- NSF certifies gradient sediment filter that can achieve more filtration of contaminants and more dirt catching capacity
- 100000-gallon capacity NSF certified filters from carbon that provides a year supply of safe water
- Certifies filter housings featuring 1-inch ports that allow for high pressure
The iSpring filtration system is a carbon filtration system and is therefore suited for generalized filtration purposes. This means, that it is not focused on a particular contaminant. It is, therefore, important that you find a filtration system specific to your contaminant problem for the best results to enjoy clean water.
Home Master Filtration Catalytic
The Home master filtration unit is suitable for populated areas water supplies with chemicals, chloramines, chlorine and odor, taste or sediment issues. This unit, manufactured perfect water technologies, treats sediment, chlorine, turbidity, herbicides and heavy metals such as copper and lead and other contaminants.
The primary purpose of this water filtration system is to deliver clean water in the home without drawing water pressure down; the design of the unit was done to ensure the users convenience.
First Stage Features:
- A 25-micron outer layer
- 10-micron inner layer
- 5-micron inner layer
- sediment filter.
The unit provides three times the capacity for holding dirt of other cartridges with a life cycle of up to a year depending on the quantity of sediment and usage.
The second filter has a carbon filter that ensures increased contact time for cleaner water.
- large housings with minute openings to ensure high pressure
- Four gradient filters ensures the filtration is finer and the capacity to hold dirt is increased to up to 1 micron
- 95000-gallon carbon filter provides an entire annual supply of safe water for four
- Excellent purification capable of removing sediments, and most contaminants in the water.
- Oversized filters that aid in improving the rate of flow of water while reducing the frequency of maintenance.
Apex Whole House Water Filtration System with GAC and Activated Alumina
The Apex filter system provides a simple yet effective solution to supply the entire home with clean, fresh water for drinking, bathing, cooking, and cleaning. Water passes through three stages of filtration to remove chlorine, sediment, heavy metal contaminants, and sources of odor and discoloration.
The filter system features a wide cartridge design hence it can meet the needs of apartment buildings and large homes easily. The Apex filtration unit is not exclusively designed for residential use, it is also an excellent choice for large office buildings, food service business, and medical offices. The cartridges are engineered to allow for the fastest possible changes to keep maintenance demands at a minimum.
- Compact design for easy filter cartridge changes
- Built in frame for easier installation
The simplicity of the Apex filter system is impressive owing to its high performance as it offers efficiency in not only its performance but also to the user for maintenance practices.
Aquasana Gallon Whole Filtration System
The Aquasana filtration system is designed to maximize potent filtration media for optimal performance. They feature unique up the flow, dual tank design increases water contact time with contaminant-grabbing media and prevents clogging.
Unlike other whole house filters that require messy, complicated media replacements, Aquasana Rhinos are designed for fast and easy tank replacements. It is a long-lasting system of up to 6 years or 600000 gallons before needing replacement.
The system features:
- Pre-filter copper-zinc and carbon filtration strategies with standard fittings
- NSF certification for removal of up to 97 percent on chlorine for up to 6000 gallons of water
- three stages of filtration to ensure optimal contaminant reduction
- Five-micron pre-filter to remove dirt, rust, and microscopic particles
- A tank filled with a blend of copper –zinc oxidation material and mineral stones to minimize levels of chlorine in the water and balanced pH
- Final tank containing high-grade carbon to reduce chlorine contaminants
- Garden hose adapter, filter housing wrench and a shut-off valve.
Hydro Care Iron 300x
The Hydro care Iron water filtration system is a whole house system for well water. The system features a 3 stage filtration process to remove hydrogen sulfide, iron, sediment manganese, and other contaminants. It also features a special insert to prevent bacterial growth within the system. The system does not require electricity, tanks or backwashing.
The system is specifically targeted to homes that rely on water from a well. water that has been sourced from a well tends to cause iron stains. The stains are from manganese, iron sand rust particles in the water that leave orange, brown or black stains on toilets, sinks, and other water appliances. Hydrogen sulfide in the water can also emit repulsive smells.
The Iron 300 is easy to maintain- there is no need for costly service and maintenance calls. What’s more? You get to protect your appliances from the damaging effects of manganese and iron.
The system features a 3 stage filtration process:
Stage 1 – the water is passed through a multi-gradient dual density filter that removes sediment and iron particles. This filter has 3 times the capacity of other filters. It also features a KDF core that inhibits the growth of bacteria and algae
Stage 2 – the second filter is an iron reduction cartridge that removes up to 3ppm ferrous iron i.e. clean water iron and manganese.
Stage 3 – this stage removes chemicals, hydrogen sulfide, chlorine and bad odor while improving on taste.
The Hydro Care Iron 300x is a great buy as it offers a lot more compared to others in the market such as the precipitation of clear iron to rust particles, reduction of water-soluble lead, mercury, chromium and copper and inhibits bacterial growth on the iron filter.
- Virtually no loss in water pressure
- Easy installation and filter replacement
- Chemical and pesticide removal
- An environmentally friendly user experience.
Whole house water filtering systems offer a number of perks within the home including:
- Healthier showers and baths
- Extended life of appliances that use water such as dishwashers, washing machines and household pipes
- Softened water with showers that are scale free and spotless glasses
- Brighter, softer and longer lasting clothing
- Healthier skin and hair free of any contaminants from contaminated water
Installing a whole house water system can solve an array of problems affecting the quality taste or appearance of water. Whole house filtration systems eliminate contaminants from your water using a filter connected to your water line. All the water coming into your house will go through the filter before being directed to the toilets, appliances, and faucets in the house.
The types of contaminants that you will need to remove will vary based on where you receive your water from. Carbon filtration is effective in removing chloramines, chlorine ad odor to provide chemical free water in the entire home. If you have a specific contaminant, you will need a whole house system catered to removing the specific contaminant; for example, if you have brown and orange iron staining around your home, you will need a whole house iron filter.
A whole house softener does not work as a filter; it only works to soften hard water. A whole house softener is recommended only if you require soft water for spotless glassware or a scale free environment. A softener can also be combined with any whole house filtration system and work together to provide, soft and clean water throughout every faucet.
It can be difficult to determine the need for a water filtration system in your home and if yes, what system suits your home the best. Not all products in the market may be effective for the same group of contaminants; if you have identified a particular contaminant in your water use a contaminant selection guide to find products that are certified to reduce specific contaminants.
Home water filtration systems require constant maintenance to operate properly; ensure you are operating your unit in line with the directions provided by the manufacturer. Replace filter cartridges and membranes and other parts on a regular basis as recommended.
Before purchasing a whole house filtration system you have to consider:
- Your water quality – so as to understand whether you will need a simple faucet filter or a whole house filter system
- The contaminants – the type of filter will be determined by the type of contaminants in your water.
Whole house filters work better for removing rust, sediments, and scale. Tap-based filters work better for removing organic chemicals. By-products of chlorine and industrial solvents. In some instances, you might need to supplement your whole house filtration system with a tap filter for better tasting water.
Unfortunately, using both systems is not eco-friendly in terms of materials necessary to get your water cleaned but it is a better off alternative to bottled water which is costly.
In the long run, you will need to lean towards methods and systems that are National Sanitation Foundation, NSF tested as the NSF certifies filters on the basis of what contaminants they reduce.
Here is a review of the five best whole house water filtration systems.
Water from a municipal source may be treated, but it is still exposing you to contaminants. A whole house filtration system provides you with extra protection in every outlet within your home, contaminants can be absorbed through the skin or inhaled and therefore, it is important to be protected throughout the home.
If your home does not have a special water contaminant issue then a whole house carbon filtration system would be suitable as it is recommended for general multipurpose whole house purification.
The top five water filtration systems we have discussed above are whole house water filtration systems. They provide filtered water to all water supplies within the house including the kitchen shower and to all appliances that use water in the house.
If you are intending to prevent scale build up in the household or specific appliances, there are other systems that can be used such as reverse osmosis water filters that will reduce the level of salt and purify water.
The best water purifier reviews included here are based on research of various models and brands on the market in the industry. Hopefully, the review has been helpful for you and that you will be able to choose the right water filtration system for your home, one that is suitable for your household needs and your price range.